Managed hosting is a type of hosting service where the host service provider handles the setup, monitoring, maintenance, and secures and patches the hosting servers for you.
Although the servers are owned by the hosting provider, it hosts only websites from your network and is leased to only you, as opposed to a shared hosting package, which allows multiple websites to utilize a single server.
With managed hosting, there’s more flexibility to hosting your site than shared hosting services. Simply put; you have full control over the server, choice of the operating system, as well as the hardware that goes along with it.
Managed hosting services may use one among the two kinds of operating systems:
- Windows Operating System
- Linux Operating System
Services provided by the include the following:
- Set up: Full installation of the Operating System and Control Panel.
- Security Scans: Server security is a high priority for any business. It covers various aspects of security such as: running security audits, spam filtering, virus scanning, software firewall configuration, OS updates. Most managed hosting companies offer monthly security scans.
- App Support: Installation and update of supported applications.
- Monitoring: Server, databases, network, and Apache monitoring.
- Patching: This includes operating system and application patches, updates, and bug fixes.
- Standby support: You can simply call the support team at the hosting company to do the maintenance work on the servers.
- Troubleshooting: Should the server face any problem, the hosting service provider would diagnose and take care of those problems.
- Hardware & software upgrading: Maintenance and upgrading of the hardware software is done by the hosting service provider, so you need not worry yourself.
- Backup services: Most managed hosting providers take daily or weekly backups of the site data. In case of an emergency you can contact them to get the files back.
Table of Contents
Common types of Managed Hosting are usually enterprise. They include:
Benefits of managed hosting service
By nature, managed hosting is proactive. This simply means that the hosting plan does not allow problems to pile up, as a result of constant compatibility checks, patching, security scans and other such measures. With these measures in place, a managed hosting provider tends to avoid problems as much as possible.
Who should consider managed hosting?
Not many people are fully aware of the technical details behind configuring servers and setting up their hosting and as such, a managed hosting service is highly recommended. The provider takes care of most things for you and will be perfectly suited to your needs.
If you cannot spare the time to learn the tech behind hosting, diagnosing and fixing whenever your server faces a problem, then managed hosting solutions work best for you.
You’re likely going to want to spend more time on business generating activities for your eCommerce venture rather than managing hosting servers. In business, time is money. As a small business owner, the time you spend on managing servers could be better used concentrating on your core business instead.
Managed hosting service is a smart move for e-commerce sites to maintain their portal. Managed hosting takes the pain out of running and hosting your business. You run your business and the experts take care of the problems for you.